The planned participation of Cape Cod students in today’s National School Walkout in response to last month’s killing of 17 students and faculty members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, will have to wait in most cases.
With almost every school in the region closed today because of the lingering effects of Tuesday’s blizzard, administrators and students must now decide whether to reschedule the walkout.
Bourne Public Schools Superintendent Steven Lamarche said no contingency plans had been made because the mid-March blizzard was unexpected.
As of 5 p.m. Nauset Regional High School junior and walkout organizer Benten Niggel was hoping school would be in session today and the walkout would go on as planned at 10 a.m., but by 6 p.m. word had come down that classes were canceled for a second day.
“We’ve been planning this event for quite some time,” Niggel said.
Students at Nauset and high schools across the Cape had hoped to participate in the walkout on the one month anniversary of the shooting deaths on Feb. 14 in Parkland.
Niggel said the event at Nauset was planned as more of a walk-in, with students leaving class to gather in the gym for speeches and a moment of silence.
“If school is canceled we’ll definitely have a makeup day,” Niggel said. “We will still have our voices heard.”
Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School student and walkout organizer Avery Nardone said the walkout at D-Y is postponed for now since there is no school today.
“We’ll have to discuss it further with administration to see if we can do it on another date,” Nardone wrote in a text message.
— Follow Cynthia McCormick on Twitter: @Cmccormickcct.